- GIS Flood ROI Study – $15k funding from USGS – interviewed GIS people involved in last year’s flood, ROI spreadsheets produced for various geospatial activities during 2008 flood – final delivery July 2009
- Geospatial Interns – Americorps funded 4 volunteers through the summer to do IGI activities and local gov’t GIS needs: Winneshiek, Hardin and Marshall Counties, DM Regional GIS group – completed Sept 2009
- Iowa Rural GIS Summit – Sept 29 and 30, Osceola, IA – 46 participants discussed technical and institutional issues relevant to rural GIS programs
- Statewide Lidar Project – 47k sq miles collected out of 57k – new deliveries started in Sept, continuing to QC/QA raw products – processing status in October 2009
- 2009 2’ 4-band Orthos for Western Iowa – $650k in funding from state’s pooled technology fund from last year – imagery collected in March 2009, partially delivered in Sept. – Dan Corbin, Inc. contracted to provide horizontal accuracy assessment
- Stewardship of Structures and Transportation layers – 2008 $50k FGDC CAP Grant – web update tool for structures database completed at ISU – includes DOT LRS transportation base map product and building footprints from lidar – final report due in December
- Iowa County Engineer Association Service Bureau is rebuilding the control point server (county GPS monuments and NGS control markers) – Jon Lubke is collecting control point data from county engineers for inclusion on server
New IGI Projects – funding allocated
- Geocoding Project – to create address points for 30-50 counties using $650k from pooled technology fund – full funding appropriated by the legislature this year – began pilot project with data from Story County October 2009, develop business plan in January 2010
- 2010 2’ 4-band Orthos – full funding appropriated by the legislature this year for completion of state in spring 2010
New IGI Projects – no external funding
- High-resolution land cover for state – 1 meter from NAIP, leaf-off, lidar and other input layers – IGWS working on pilot, Lyon and Osceola Counties with 2007 NAIP data, 2′ orthos and lidar – there may be some funding from a DNR habitat mapping effort in the near future
- Statewide Geocoding Project presentation to Iowa NENA/E911 Council Fall Conference Oct 27, 2009 Des Moines
- IGI presentations at Eastern Iowa GIS Users Group Meeting, Nov 6, Wickiup Hill, Linn Co
- ROI presentation to County Assessors at ISAC Fall School in Coralville, Nov 19 or 20, 2009
- ROI presentation to MAGIC senior executive session April 18-22, 2010 Kansas City
Related GIS Projects
- 2009 NAIP was flown again this year with federal stimulus funding – 1 m color – waiting for delivery of compressed MrSID county products
- Floodplain Mapping – $15M to complete floodplain maps for the state – should create hydro-enforced DEMs, contours and hydrography layers as well as approximate DFIRMs for all Iowa counties – two staff persons hired, program manager and GIS analyst– pilot project with Iowa Flood Center for floodplain models for Poweshiek County
- Eastern Iowa GIS Day – Economic Development Case Studies Nov 17 730am-10am breakfast at Kirkwood CC Conference Center in Cedar Rapids – aimed at business community
- ARRA Broadband Mapping – Iowa Utility Board contracted with Connected Nation to map broadband availability in Iowa – Data delivered in March 2010, basically census block group level info
- Iowa state agency projects – assistance to IDPS Fusion Center and State Police dispatch software upgrade, with data and web services from DOT, DNR and HLSEM.
- Statewide parcel GIS data layer – Ray Willis of Polk County is developing a pilot data set of parcels using FGDC core standard, to be distributed on the ICIT Data Repository
- ICIT Data Repository revamped
- DNR completed this summer the 1950’s historical aerial photography layer for the state. Both 1950s and 1930s are available on the ISU Ortho server or NRGIS Library. Currently working on scanning and orthorectifying the 1960’s data set.
- Pooled Technology Application for 2 FTEs for 2 years to run a state GIS service bureau – rated 3rd out of all PT projects, funding has to be allocated by legislature next spring for July 2010 start – how likely is that?
Possible Future Projects
- 2010 CAP Grant application, new category for ROI – IGI ROI study for cities, COGs and utilities – emphasis on economic development? – due Jan 7 2010
- Possible USGS/ARRA funds for lidar and orthos – shall we develop proposal to help fund local 6″ and 1′ upgrades during 2010 ortho project? No RFP yet.
- I-Jobs Funding ?? emphasis on local government preparation for future disasters (use results of GITA flood ROI study) and job creation (more interns?) Quarterly submittals for funding?
- Collaboration on The National Map data layers and GeoPDFs for Iowa – TNM will work on Iowa during 2010
- Collaborate more with County Engineer Service Bureau to help county engineers use lidar elevation data
- Crowdsourcing workshop? Spring 2010? City of Leon? Be there with your I-Phone or GPS!
Projects looking for funding
- 2010 NAIP – will additional federal funding become available for 1 m color? Can Iowa get together additional $100k for 4th infrared band? Or look to 2011 for next scheduled NAIP flight?
- Hydrography – NHD conflation on lidar-derived stream network from floodplain work
- Geocoding Phase 2 – address points for 50 or so remaining counties, apply for PT funding in July 2010, for July 2011 project continuation
- County GIS Service Bureau – 4 FTEs requiring about $300k per year of ongoing funding